Thursday, July 18, 2013

Why this blog?

My entire adult life I have balanced on the edge of the overweight border (BMI 25). Mostly below, sometimes above. My happiest weight was 64kg (141lbs), but I think for the last period before my first pregnancy I weighed about 66kg (145.5lbs). I was content with that. Oh and for the record my height is 165cm (5'5").

Then I had kids. I ballooned to 90kg (198lbs) with my first pregnancy and got back down to 73kg (161lbs) pretty soon after. When I had my son I went up to 85kg (187lbs) and now I am stuck at 76.5kg (168.6lbs). It is time to reclaim my body. I've just recently finished breastfeeding my son so there's nothing standing in my way anymore.

Why do I want to lose weight? It's not health reasons per se. I consider myself a healthy person right now; I think it's totally possible to be overweight and healthy. I eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and drink enough water. I am also active: I commute to work by bicycle and exercise several times a week (jogging, Zumba, badminton). Off course next to the fruit and veg I eat plenty of other stuff too, hence the post baby flab that is not shifting.

It's mostly a control issue. Weight gain is a slippery slope and I don't want to wake up one day weighing 82kg (180lbs) and being classified as obese. And that's when I think health issues will start to pop up.

And then there's vanity. I do think I look OK right now. I am lucky to be blessed with an hour glass figure. But my ass is too big; my belly and arms are flabby. I feel OK, but I don't feel pretty and I want to feel pretty again.

Two weeks ago I already made some small changes: I stopped the mindless grazing. I noticed I was putting things in my mouth without even thinking, and those were most certainly not fruit and veggies. My employer provides cookies - to go with our coffee - every morning and afternoon. They are placed next to the coffee machine. It's so easy to grab one and not even think about that. My other downfall is grabbing a bag of potato chips in the evening when I'm watching TV. Once I pop I can't stop, and I needed to cut that out too. So far that's been going fine, I don't really feel deprived at all. In the weekends I have slipped a little bit, but got back on track without looking back.

However it doesn't seem to be enough. I feel like I need more accountability. How will I approach that? I have not made a fixed decision yet but I'm thinking about counting Weight Watchers Points. I've done it in the past and really liked it. I am not gonna join official meetings for now. My schedule is already so crazy. I don't see how I could ever fit it in. Maybe I'll sign up for WW online after a while but first I want to try it on my own. I don't plan to share too much about how many points I'm eating etc. This blog will serve mainly as a place to write down my thoughts and musings on food, dieting, weight loss and body image in general. I do plan on adding progress pictures and statistics as a motivational tool . I can't do that yet because our scale is broken. When we get a new one I will make sure to post them.

My goal is to weigh 64kg (141lbs) again. That would give me a BMI of 23.5 which I think is perfect. But I am not setting any deadline for that. If the weight comes off slowly that's fine by me.

I don't know if anyone will read this blog. Right now it's more for myself than anything else. Anyone who wants to come along for the ride is free to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment