Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Why I'm scared of weight gain

I am a big fan of blogging in general. I read a ton of blogs about on all kinds of topics: Motherhood, pregnancy, weight loss, fitness, feminism, fashion, ... One thing fat bloggers write about is why they hate being fat. A beautiful example of this is 101 reasons I hate being fat; it hasn't been active for a while but I really love browsing through the archives. It is an interesting topic for me, not because I recognize these problems. I am not at the point where my fat is really holding me back to do anything I love. But it is a great reminder of the reasons I am trying to lose it now: To make sure I never get to that point.

Clothes Shopping - I love shopping for clothes! I am not a fashionista or anything, but I love the challenge of going into the shops and finding stuff that is fashionable, flattering for my body and reasonably cheap. I don't mind shopping for larger sizes, I've done it during my pregnancies, but let's face it the offer is never as trendy or plentiful as it is in the normal size range. Furthermore, the bigger I get the less clothes I find suitable for me. I don't want to show off my fat upper arms too much, or wear short skirts in fear of bearing my thunder thighs. This last problem is off course all in my head, but it's there nevertheless. At this moment I am already reaching for the larger sizes in the normal clothes shops. I just don't want to push the limit and find myself banned from them altogether.

Saggy Skin - No matter how fat you get, you can always find some way to lose weight. It has been done. In extreme cases surgery might be necessary, but you gotta do what you gotta do. But even if you lose half your body weight or more, you will be left with saggy skin. Skin removal surgery can be a solution here, but that comes with its own risks and scarring etc etc. What a hassle! If you want to get your body back in the easiest way, best to start sooner than later. So I'm choosing sooner.

Fitting in Seats - I can't even imagine what it would be like not to fit in movie theater seats, or chairs with armrests, or airplane seats. These are in fact things fat people have to worry about. It's like a constant stress factor on top of everything else, because when you start to take notice, we have to sit down in seats with predefined maximum sizes all the time. This is something I do NOT want to worry about. Life's too hectic as it is, thank you very much.

Amusement Parks - I don't go to amusement parks often, unfortunately, but when I do I always enjoy it. I love going on rides, the faster and higher the better! A few weeks ago we went to an amusement parks with the kids and it was so much fun taking MiniMe on rides for smaller kids, seeing her little face light up. I don't ever want to miss out on anything like that, which is a possibility when you are too fat to fit into the carts. No way I want to have that happen to me.

Feeling Self Concious - This is a complete vanity thing. Like I said in a previous post I enjoy feeling pretty, which I just don't when there's too much flab hanging on to my body. I read some blogs by larger fashionistas (like this one) and I think they are fabulous and so beautiful. I wish I could do what they do, but I'm not there (yet). I believe in fat acceptance and health at every size, but I guess the cultural norm of beauty is just too ingrained in my brain. It's sad but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment